Alaska's Winter Horizon

Alaska's Winter Horizon

Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday, April 26th

Nice day today. Got up into the mid 40s. I walked to the Post Office early in the afternoon. After work, Greg joined me and we rode the bus out to the library. These geese were just enjoying the day and eating on the library grounds. I donated 8 books for the book sale this weekend, which of course I will be attending.






We checked out the DVD about Richard Proenneke called Alone in the Wilderness. We had watched it on PBS several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Richard retired at 50 and left to go live alone in a remote area of Alaska. He built a cabin and lived there for the next 30 years or so, finally heading back to civilization in his 80s. The book is really interesting, check it out if you find it. I would offer to loan you my copy but Greg is reading it!


I also checked out a wild berry book from the Alaska collection at the library. There are about 50 wild edible berries here. Should make for some interesting cobblers, pies, and jelly.








Greg snapped these shots of the mountains from our room about 9:30 tonight. The clouds had just begun to slide over the mountaintops. The sun sets about 9:47 and you can still see outside until at least 10:40. Getting longer every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment