Alaska's Winter Horizon

Alaska's Winter Horizon

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Greg's Fishing Trip






I returned to Anchorage last week. The trip was wonderful, and I was able to see many friends and family. Hopefully, the friends and family I wasn't able to see this trip, I will get to spend time with at Christmas! I tell you- I don't miss the heat!! It has only been around 60 everyday since I've gotten home. That is a great improvement over the upper 90s I had to deal with while in Tennessee. Even so, I really enjoyed seeing everyone and driving a car for the first time in over 4 months.




The Saturday before I returned, Greg got to go halibut fishing with SBFs Mindy and Paul (you too can gain the coveted SBF status by taking Greg fishing- easy enough). They drove to Whittier early that Saturday morning and headed out on the boat into Prince William Sound. It was a cold, drizzly, and foggy morning. Most of the beautiful views were obscured. Greg caught his first halibut. This one weighed about 15 pounds. He thought it was going to be a lot heavier by the way it felt on the line.

As they were bottom fishing in very deep water, it was some what of a workout just to reel the line in. They caught a few over the next few hours. They were about ready to leave when Mindy said, "Let's give it 5 more minutes." Seconds after those words were spoken, she had a bite and handed it to Paul because she knew it was a large fish. Paul then agreed that it was big fish and handed it to Greg. And the battle was on. About 35 minutes later, Greg and Paul managed to get the fish into the boat.
It was 60 inches long and weighed 108 pounds. It had fillets on it that were 40 inches long. Quite a fish!! They ended up with a total of 5 halibut and a total weight of about 200 pounds. Greg said since he had limited out, he threw several back 2 or 3 times the size of that big fish....hmm. He does want to thank Mindy and Paul again for such a great day. Maybe next time I'll be able to go along for the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment