Alaska's Winter Horizon

Alaska's Winter Horizon

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

End of Fur Rondy

Here are the last pictures we took during the Fur Rondy Celebration this year. The festival ended with the beginning of the Iditarod on March 3rd. That race has officially ended with Mitch Seavey winning this year. At 56 years old, he is the oldest person to win the race so far. His son, Dallas, was the youngest to win it last year. That Sunday, we walked down the big hill from the carnival to see the snow sculptures.









As usual, there were some strong contenders.











 Here is one of the winners, The Ole Bull and Chain.













Unfortunately, we didn't get there before he lost one of his horns! Still, it was a magnificent piece of art. Another interesting one was this Tiki creation.

 It is always interesting to marvel at the craftsmanship that goes into making these. I would have a hard time picking my favorite.

 Here is Greg beside the sculpture created in his likeness. Wow, almost a mirror image!

 I know the first day of spring is just hours away, but not for me. Tonight our low is 0 to 5 degrees.  I don't think it got above freezing today. Still plenty of snow on the ground! Far from the 70s I got to experience last week when I journeyed down to Tennessee for spring break. But at least we are getting 12 hours of sunlight a day. We are gaining more sunlight every day. Makes me hopeful that spring is just around the corner for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment